- Text Size +
Part Four

As soon as she got home, Willow began to frantically rush around the house.

"Clothes, hairbrush, toothbrush, toothpaste, bank book, id, photos, money, jewelry, notebooks…" As she spoke Willow threw each item into a large duffel bag. "Have I forgotten anything?" she murmured to herself as she took a quick look around her room and then the house. "Don't think so but if I did, too bad." Willow wrote a quick note to her parents, put it on the fridge, and left the house for what she hoped would be the last time.




"I can't believe how blind we've been," Buffy said as she and Xander practically ran towards the Rosenberg home.

"I know. I feel like such a jerk. Willow's my best bud, but I've acted as though she doesn't exist," Xander responded. The two were then silent as they thought about how they had treated their friend.

Finally, they reached the Rosenberg home. They were surprised, to say the least, to find a police car in the driveway. As they came closer to the house, they saw Mrs. Rosenberg exit the building with a man who exuded an aura of law and order.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Rosenberg but until she's been missing for 24 hours we can't do anything," they heard the man explain.

"Thank you officer, "Mrs. Rosenberg said as she watched the man walk away. She continued to watch, silently, as he drove away. Then she started to go back into the house, but as she turned she caught sight of Xander and Buffy. "Oh, Xander, Buffy, have either of you seen Willow?" she asked, with a look of hopeful expectation.

"We saw her leave school earlier, but she ignored us. We were hoping to talk to her now," Buffy said.

"What happened, Mrs. Rosenberg?" Xander asked. "Where's Willow?" Xander's worry for his friend filled his voice.

Before she answered Willow's mother drew the two teenagers into the house and then into the living room. She pushed them down on top of the couch and sat herself down in a nearby chair. She picked up a piece of paper sitting on the coffee table and stared at it intently. She looked at the paper as though it held all the secrets of the universe.

Slowly Mrs. Rosenberg began to speak; "I came home about a half an hour ago. I didn't expect Willow to be here. She hasn't spent much time at home for the last two weeks. I don't know where she goes but she hasn't spent a single night here at home. She only comes home in the morning to eat and get ready for school and the afternoon, just after school, to eat and drop her school stuff off. I know she hasn't been spending the time with you two. When I asked her during the first week, she 'assured' me that she wasn't spending her time hanging around with you two. She said that the two of you were rather pre-occupied."

At their reluctant nods, she continued explaining. "Usually, Willow has left before I've gotten home so it didn't surprise me to not find her here. What did surprise me was finding this note from her." Mrs. Rosenberg began to cry as she handed the slip of paper to Buffy and Xander.

Silently, side by side, the two began to read the note.



   "Mom and Dad,

       I can't handle things right now; my life has gotten too complicated. I need some time on my own so I'm leaving for now. I don't know how long I'll be gone or even if I'll be coming back. Just know that I love you.

       Don't worry about me, I'll be staying with a close friend and I'll be quite safe.

   Love always,

          Willow"




Buffy and Xander looked at one another. They couldn't believe it. Willow had run away! That just wasn't like the Willow they knew. The Willow they knew always tried to fix the things that weren't working in her life.

Xander looked at the crying form of Mrs. Rosenberg and instinctively went to her and wrapped his arms around her. "Don't worry, Mrs. Rosenberg," he said, "We'll go out and look for her. Buffy and I should know all the places where she might hide."

After she gave them a hesitant smile and her thanks Buffy and Xander left. By a silent agreement they stayed together and began to search for Willow in the local neighborhood. Unknown to them their quarry was on the other side of town and was about to knock on a very familiar door.

End Part Four